Being a teenager is not exactly the easiest time in your life. My buddy Jonas has a kid and man it’s tough for him. Your body is going through some changes; and you are trying to find yourself, gain acceptance from your peers and so much.
It is important to know how you can make a good first impression; it is a necessary tool for making new and lifelong friends; going on a job interview as a teenager and getting dates.
Here are a couple of tips to help teenagers make a great first impression when meeting someone or a group of people for the first time:
• Stand up tall and inhale deeply – a limp body posture will not only make you look shorter than your actual height, it also screams “I am not confident in myself”.
• Have a quick glance at the person(s) you wish to impress – when you look at the person, you will be able to know the best way to approach them.
• Walk confidently towards the person
• As you approach the person, ensure that you look at him or her straight in the eye, ensure that your hold the gaze for about 2 to 3 seconds.
• Smile warmly and you offer to shake hands with them – give a firm handshake
• Introduce yourself and then tell them that you are pleased to make their acquaintance
• Ask for the person’s name, if you do not know it already
• Prior to parting ways, you should try repeating the person’s name in a really natural way, like “I am so glad I met you today Dylan” or “I hope to see you again Patrick”.
• Ensure that you listen and make eye contact when the other person is talking.
• You need to be relaxed and exude confidence. It is important that you know that your energy and attitude can be infectious!
Making a great impression really starts from you! Having a sunny disposition will make people want to come close to you – no one wants to be around a person who is consistently grouchy.
It is important that you are yourself when you are making a great first impression – there is really no point being someone else.
Most Importantly: Dress to impress! As teenager, you cannot make a great first impression on the parents of the boy or girl you wish to date if you go to their house, dressed irresponsibly. No parent in their right senses will allow their kid date a person who looks like an ex-con!